Grant Fidelity Audio - Read Only Forum Index Grant Fidelity Audio - Read Only

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PC 1.5 power cord

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Grant Fidelity Audio - Read Only Forum Index -> Testimonials and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manicman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: PC 1.5 power cord Reply with quote

I bought two of the Grant Fidelity PC 1.5 power cords a couple of weeks ago to try. At this writing I have purchased and installed twelve in my two systems... Every amp/receiver, power filter, etc. is now equipped with a PC 1.5. I went back to my MUCH more expensive pc's on the sources and pre-amps - I felt I was experiencing a loss of air and detail. However, where they are now in my system they are working better than my previous. I'm getting richer "midrange bloom", quiet (i.e., silent) backgrounds and "silky smooth, shimmering highs" like never before (can I think of any more audio cliches?). System synergy and all that, I guess. I suspect that with less resolving and/or noisier source gear, Iíd have kept the 1.5ís on those pieces, too. My approach has been to find speakers I like AND to try to keep the sources as detailed and clean as possible. The downstream is where I prefer to try to bring in the real "humanity" (I don't think that's a cliche). They are without a doubt one of the very best buys Iíve come across in audio. Iím REALLY looking forward to getting my hands on one of the filter boxes! I spend 'way too much money on this stuff.
manicman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: More on the power cable! Reply with quote

Well, these pc's have now migrated to the front end on my system. I can't believe it. A friend was over last night who knows my upstairs system very well, and he was blown away. He couldn't believe that all I had changed was power cables since he last heard it. These power cords are dynamite. I don't know why the combination of parts as can be seen on this site combine to produce the extraordinary results, but they work like nothing I've ever had in system - and I've equipped all the components for less than I've spent on one pc in the past. Deeper bass, greater body lower noisefloor. Thanks Ian!!
igrant
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name dropping allowed on the friend Smile Thanks for your great reviews and support manicman. manicman has one of those systems (2 actually) that the local audio design talent likes to come over to test new ideas on. Kind of Calgary's reference audiophile system(s).

manicman and I met a year or so ago now when he stole the A-330B on an eBay auction for his 2nd system. It is almost unrecognizable with all the mods he has done to it Smile

Ian
manicman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: PC 1.5 power cord Reply with quote

Too kind, Ian. I just need to qualify one of your statements, re my A-330B! I haven't modified it at all - just replaced all the tubes and set it on big, fat HRS discs and spacers. I don't think that unit needs any modifications - well, not to make me happy - I love it, and the tubes are just "to taste"!

Also, I need to point out that the systems are what they are because of those designer fellows who have helped me out and taught me what I'm capable of learning about sound and audio equipment (not too much, really), and steered me toward some great gear. Guys like Moray (James) Campbell and John Wright - as well as the very patient owners and sales people at several stores in Calgary, and now you - remembering that everyone is speaking from their own experience, ears, and brain when they opine on "the sound" of equipment. And also, recently, Daniel Leviton, author of "This is Your Brain on Music".

There is a wealth of information out there; it's tough to wade through it all and find the gear that makes one happy. Fundamentally, for me that's all that matters. Pursuing the "closest approach to the real thing", I think, is quixotic. A saxophone on a particular street corner from 3 feet away sounds different from a sax in the same place at 5 meters and from a sax on a different street corner, and different from a sax blown in my living room, and different from a sax blown in my basement. And that particular sound in that particular place may sound quite differerent to each person who hears it. Even making a recording sound "real" in your living room doesn't necessarily mean you've made it sound like the recording engineer intended.

I've had people hear my systems who just don't "get" what I'm hearing. I like a big, 3D soundstage with the speakers "invisible". It's quite clear from some people's reactions that some people can't even hear that (my spouse included) - and others WANT the sound to "come from the speakers" or a "wall of sound". Some peole can hear a sound and tell you where it is located in the space around them without seeing what is making the sound - some just can't. What appreciation will the latter person have for what another hears as a "holographic" soundstage?

People want absolutes for everything - even sound (heh, heh). I think there is only one within the realm of experinece generally perceptible to most people, unfortunately: if you're born, you croak. Everything else "just depends".

I hereby nominate myself for pope!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Grant Fidelity Audio - Read Only Forum Index -> Testimonials and Reviews All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: